Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Top of the World and Surf's UP!


This morning we got up, had some breakfast and strapped on our runners to hike up Diamond Head. We caught the city bus (Thanks for the tips Nita...we walked a few blocks down and all got seats!) and got dropped off at the entrance. It was quite warm already at 9 am and I questioned our sanity as the sweat started to roll down my back! It is a nice gentle hike with switchbacks and stairs. It's nothing like the Grouse Grind, but was a little challenging at times for Chelsea. The heat makes it seem much harder. Maddie, our mountain goat, charged ahead and hit the summit before the rest of us. At the top, we were rewarded with the most magnificent view of Waikiki and surrounding area, not to mention a welcome breeze! I'll post some pictures later tonight once we get them downloaded. When we got back to the flats, the girls each had a shave ice (that's what it's called, I didn't forget the "d") and Mike and I shared some fresh pineapple. The cabs were lined up and offering us rides back. The prices kept going down the farther along the path we got. One driver offered to take us all back to town for $5. It was tempting but the bus was free on the way back since we had our transfers.

After a little lunch at the condo, we headed to the beach. Mike was keen to take a surf lesson. He was able to get one right away from an older Hawaiian man named "Uncle Gill". He got up several times and said it was much easier than in Tofino. You can see why Waikiki is so popular with surfers. The conditions are just perfect with the shallow water and the diversity of waves. There is a competition going on this week here. Today we saw the Dog and Master tandem constest. It was so hilarious to see dogs riding on the nose of the surfboard with their masters on the back. There were also some tandem surfing where the guys would lift the girl way over his head...pretty amazing.

The girls and I relaxed in the pools by the breakwater, swimming and playing in the sand. When Mike was done, Maddie was keen to go boogie boarding again, so we went down the beach to where the waves are. She's getting the hang of it and was able to ride a few in. Chelsea is still a little tentative, but actually went out with Maddie to try at the end.

Tonight we are going to grab a quick bite and catch some nightlife. We thought the girls would enjoy the torch lighting and hula show. We will see if we can catch the sunset too.

Our plan is to do Hanuma Bay tomorrow. We'll plan our bus route tonight and get up early.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Wow! Sounds & looks like you are all having a wonderful time.

I still remember seeing Hanuma Bay from way back when Leslie & I went after grad. It was the first time I tried snorkeling & it was amazing. I was proud that I tried it as I was quite nervous.

Can't wait to see more pic's. It looks very appealing - especially since we've had a couple days of clouds & showers here. You picked a great week to get away for some fun in the sun.

Enjoy!
Laura

Heather said...

Sounds like a great day. Don't you love the all day warmth? Can't beat it! Have fun in snorkel land tomorrow. I can't wait to hear from the girls - I think they should blog with you tomorrow!