Friday, August 22, 2008

Flip Flops, Buses and Cab Drivers





We are learning the bus system here in Waikiki quite well. The bus is a great deal at 2 dollars for adults and 1 dollar for kids. We've bused to Diamond Head, Hanuama Bay and today, Sea Life Park. Today was the longest bus ride at about 50 minutes. It's a great way to see the sights along with various neighbourhoods and even some spectacular highway scenery today. We are also putting lots of miles on our flip flops. Lots of things are walking distance from our condo so we are certainly getting our exercise. Not to mention that our condo has an outside staircase and we are on the 4th floor.

The funniest thing to me is that the cab drivers come by the bus stops to try to entice you to take the cab. They tell you that you'll have to wait a long time for the bus and exaggerate the length of time of the bus route. Today a driver offered to take us all to Sea Life Park for 20 dollars. He already convinced one family, but I told him we'd wait for the bus and save 14 dollars. He used the analogy of fine dining vs. McDonalds to try to persuade us that a cab ride would be so much more relaxing! In the end, we waited a few more minutes for the bus and got there in plenty of time! We did take a cab last night from Bubba Gump's at Aloa Mona Centre. We walked there which was a LOOONG way. It was dark when we were done and I wasn't sure how the kids would hold up. It was well worth it! Heather encouraged me to try Bubba Gump's. It was a fun experience and we all enjoyed the fun atmosphere of the restaurant which is modeled after the Forrest Gump film.

So we are heading out to dinner now. We're all pretty hungry and our food supplies are low here. It's time for another trip to Food Pantry!

Tomorrow we plan to visit the Polynesian Cultural Centre. I think we'll rent a car and see the North Island a bit too.

We are really enjoying life here in Paradise. The weather is just unreal and the beauty of the sea and the palms continues to impress us. Mike was trying to figure out a way to live here today. He claims he may become a surfer boy once he
retires!

3 comments:

Sue Grant said...

I can just see you at all these wonderful spots! I'm so glad you're enjoying the island.

Laura said...

Such fun reading all of your posts. Thanks for sharing.

I feel like I'm enjoying your vacation with you.

Can't wait to hear about Bubba Gump's I loved that movie & I love Shrimp.

Heather said...

Hi guys! What a great day. I love hearing the stories and seeing the weather. Miss you!